Ask the Captain
 Happy 50th birthday, baby.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SteelClipper57

USA
868 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  22:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

1957 Inland Seas Steel Clipper. Inland Seas Boat Co. was a boat manufacturer from 1946 to 1972. The official model is the 39' Flying Sedan Bridge. There were only three of the 39 footers made in 57. You are seeing hull #2. Hull #1 and #3 - to my knowledge - are no longer afloat.

Her hull is made of 7/16" plate steel with old growth mahogany from the rub rail on up. She's 22,000lbs dry. Powered by twin Chris Craft MCLRs (338ci six bangers). She can't outrace anything, but she can win any and all tug 'o-wars.

Every boat has a story and this one is no different. The owner of Inland Seas Boats was a man by the name of Archie Lang. He and my grandfather were friends and my grandfather would run some boats for Archie. In 1956, my grandfather told Archie that he should take the current (1956) 36 foot boat and extend the stern back to get a better line and more useable space from the boat. The 39 was born. My grandfather made a down payment and they started working on hull #1 and #2 at the same time. Hull #3 was made in the Sandusky Plant where Inland Seas relocated in 1957. This boat was the last manufactured in the Cleveland plant.

Click on this link to view more of the pictures.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Steelclipper57/MeriteriS50thBirthday

God, I love this boat. I don't know why with all the aggravation she causes me, but I always tell myself she's worth it.

"I know I'm not going to live forever, and neither are you, but until my furlough here on Earth is revoked, I should like to elbow aside the established pieties and raise my martini glass in salute to the moral arts of pleasure." Bob Shacochis

Edited by - SteelClipper57 on Jul 29 2007 23:00:08

Don B

USA
301 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  22:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she's got class and character that you just don't see anymore. take good care of that lady, she sure looks worth it.

Don
'91 Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Sandy

USA
9366 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  00:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just beautiful. Happy birthday Meriteri! Clearly a lot of love floating there.

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

USA
16146 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  01:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW......I'm speechless! What a beauty. I love old boats even though I would never own one! They are so beautiful when properly maintained, as yours is. I would not be able to afford the maintenance........

Where do you keep her?
Go to Top of Page

psalzer

USA
9058 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  06:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful boat thanks for sharing!!

Pete
Go to Top of Page

SteelClipper57

USA
868 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  06:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flutterby

WOW......I'm speechless! What a beauty. I love old boats even though I would never own one! They are so beautiful when properly maintained, as yours is. I would not be able to afford the maintenance........

Where do you keep her?

Thank you for the kind words, all. She is a labor of love/insanity. It's also a true marriage. She IS the other woman.

The maintenance is no worse than a standard boat. The special projects (hull blasted and painted), however, can run quite a bit. Those require planning and pinched pennies. This coming fall I have some hidden rot I have to dig out. It's hidden so the wildcard is "how bad is it"? We'll see. It's at the base of the windshield, stbd side.

She's at the mouth of the Chagrin River in Eastlake, just East of Cleveland, Oh...... where she's been tying up since she was brand new.

"I know I'm not going to live forever, and neither are you, but until my furlough here on Earth is revoked, I should like to elbow aside the established pieties and raise my martini glass in salute to the moral arts of pleasure." Bob Shacochis
Go to Top of Page

Jim Carter

Canada
1116 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  07:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is so easy to see why you love that boat. It is so beautiful!

"The Boat"
Georgian Bay
Go to Top of Page

Bayrat

USA
2553 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  07:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful boat! Must be full of memories for you.

Best Regards,

Don

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money.

-G Gordon Liddy

Go to Top of Page

yzer

Pitcairn Island
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  09:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great 50's boat! Other than the hull, the construction reminds me of the Chris-Craft cruisers: varnished brightwork and deck canvas/paint cabin top.

Whiskey is for drinking; water is for fighting over.
Go to Top of Page

Pigmeister

USA
16023 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  09:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A real classic look, not the modern for show only glitz you see now.A real treasure.
Go to Top of Page

Padraig

USA
927 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  09:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the picture and her story. What is the story behind her name,Meriteri?

Padraig
Go to Top of Page

Hazzard

302 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SteelClipper57,

That is a great looking boat. I would love to see more pictures of her.
Go to Top of Page

PascalG

USA
22606 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BEAUTIFUL !!!!

too bad we don't see more of these older beauties on the water...

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
Go to Top of Page

Tortoise

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark

Sure is a looker! Marinas need more boats like Meriteri.
You can't beat the lines of a mature boat, keep up the good work.

My girl is approaching 40 and I can only hope she looks as good as yours at 50..

Enjoy her.

Dan.

Go to Top of Page

SteelClipper57

USA
868 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meriteri:
Meri - MerrieEllen - my Aunt.
Teri - Terry - my father.

I did forget to mention one thing: this very boat was used in magazine advertisements (boats and motors) and was the poster-boat for Inland Seas Boat Co. I'll post pictures once get them.

Go to Top of Page

Freddy

USA
4240 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Truly classic lines!

You can tell the character of a man by the way he treats those who can't help him."
Go to Top of Page

unkle buck

USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm at MHYC and can't wait to take a quick ride down to Chargin to look at your BEAUTY--sweet!~!

John

68 Lazzara
Go to Top of Page

Msibley

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely gorgeous! If they still made boats like that, none of us could afford to be in boating...think of the craftsmanship involved there. Pamper her well, Clipper!

Mike
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over."
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are."
- Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman, Commanding, Union Armies-Military Division of the Mississippi
Go to Top of Page

glenncal1

751 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steel-It's funny how that style of boat is very fashionable again. What goes around comes around. You should try to set up a trust fund so that boat can stay in the family.

Jim
Sonic 33 SE
Go to Top of Page

OldMariner32

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  14:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great beauty. Generous of you to share her with us through those pictures.

Tom
Boatless by the sea
Author of "The Juice of Life"
Go to Top of Page

CarterCrew

USA
1462 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  14:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is absolutly beautiful and what a great story behind her. Thanks for sharing.

Sherry and the rest of the "Crew" [Mike and Michelle]
The Bold Adventure -> 2006 Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner Twin Yamaha F150s
Go to Top of Page

PascalG

USA
22606 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  14:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Absolutely gorgeous! If they still made boats like that, none of us could afford to be in boating...think of the craftsmanship involved there. Pamper her well, Clipper!"

funny, but in many cases the maintenance on an old boat, or an old car for that matter, is less than depreciation on a new one.

how much does the average 40 footer cost these days... 300k, 400k ? depreciation is ... 40k a year early on... that's a lot of maintenance.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
Go to Top of Page

Bill 2

USA
1709 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  16:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There was a time, and it seems like yesterday, when yachts such as this named "JOBAR", "SANDS OF TIME", "SEA PRINCESS", "HY-LEE", and others, were the norm rather than the exception.

"MERITERI" is beautiful and she wears her age well. I, too, look forward to viewing additional photos of her.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill 2
Remembering 9.11.01
Go to Top of Page

lil red truck

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  18:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's absolutely gorgeous.
She reminds me of a boat that belonged to friends of my parents in the late 60's. That one was on the LI Sound.
Please continue to treat her well.

Honora
1987 Bayliner Ciera 2450
Matthew 7:12
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness." ~ George Sand

Go to Top of Page

L. Keith

USA
2721 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  18:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great boat. Fresh water has been kind to the steel hull. Ever done any U.T. readings on the bottom plate and wind/water erosion zones? My boat will pass the 60 year mark next month, her life started with the falling of a virgin pine tree (her keel) in the 1947 Hurricane.
Go to Top of Page

lil red truck

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  18:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
L. Keith--pics please?

Honora
1987 Bayliner Ciera 2450
Matthew 7:12
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness." ~ George Sand

Go to Top of Page

robedney

USA
958 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  18:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I simply can't believe that in 50 years folks will look at one the fiberglass cruisers made today (that always remind me of the fancy sneakers that go for $80 on up) with the same mixture of pleasure and awe I experience in looking at Meriteri. Keep her going.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

SteelClipper57

USA
868 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  22:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L. Keith

Great boat. Fresh water has been kind to the steel hull. Ever done any U.T. readings on the bottom plate and wind/water erosion zones? My boat will pass the 60 year mark next month, her life started with the falling of a virgin pine tree (her keel) in the 1947 Hurricane.

Excellent story about your boat. I'll want to see pics of that.

I have not nor will I get an ultrasound done on the hull. Why? Because she may be steel, but from boot stripe to boot stripe, the maker put a thick mat of fiberglass. The only way to get a sounding is to strip off the glass, sound, then reapply the glass. Why invite potential problems?

Archie Lang always said, "If you take care of the hull it will last you a century; if you don't it will only last 100 years." So far, so good.

Thanks, all, for the kind words.

I was getting a little teasing - nay harassment! - from a co-worker and fellow boater of mine when I was showing him the photos. He had a beef about my being a "digital geek", yet my helm comprises a radio, a compass from a WWII destroyer, and a depth sounder which never gets turned on. Yeah, I know, I don't make ANY sense.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Alan Ledenican

1 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  21:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a beautiful boat and since I have my 1965 40' clipper in the same building being stored I have looked at it real close.

Yours has given me some new ideas for mine as I am ready to fully restore.

We talked about insurance and i need to talk again.

Before I saw your boat I was not sure I wanted one. Thanks for unknowingly getting me into my Inland Seas....RAL
Go to Top of Page

Ironworks

USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  10:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy birthday to a beautiful Lake Erie lady. She sure looks good at fifty. Mine was built in 1965 in Sandusky Ohio. I will be enjoying my 17th. season with her this year.When I go to the islands I often see another (clipper) hope to meet you sometime. Until I do "Go Safe Go Steel"

44' Viking ACMY Diesel
28 ft Omega 454 Gas IB
Go to Top of Page

Riverbed

USA
3390 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  11:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a classic beauty with some great stories and memories. Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

SteelClipper57

USA
868 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  12:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard, I will be making my face a regular at Southshore in the coming months. She's now in the paint building (#2) where she is going under the knife for some cancer removal.

Come on by any time. I really want to get the Inland Seas Steel Clipper Owners society up and going again. Steve Kappes had a great webby, but has fallen away somewhere. I can't find his information - although the Sandusky Maritime Museum may have something. There is another Clipper in CLYC and we're talking about getting things going again.

Go to Top of Page

walterv

USA
14832 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  17:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it, one of a kind.....

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

USA
2089 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  18:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I recognized her...I see her every time I take a boat out for work. A beautiful sight to see every time, and I gaze at her each time I go out (almost every day in the summer)

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Edited by - RamSport47 on Feb 20 2008 18:05:59
Go to Top of Page

Ironworks

USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  19:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark i have contact info on Steel Clipper owners. Call or email me I lost your contact info and this site won't let me get your profile or email. Jim

44' Viking ACMY Diesel
28 ft Omega 454 Gas IB
Go to Top of Page

SteelClipper57

USA
868 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  21:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworks

Mark i have contact info on Steel Clipper owners. Call or email me I lost your contact info and this site won't let me get your profile or email. Jim

Jim, I'm having a tough time. Send me an email using my RO username and send it to yahoo.....if you get my drift.

Thanks! Do they even have the rendezvous anymore? I went to the one at Cedar Point in 99 but haven't been to another. Man, was that ever fun!

Go to Top of Page

jamsac

Canada
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  00:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's pretty, looks like a real boat, great lines.

James

James
1989 Cobalt 21CC
Merc 5.7, 260 hp
'VictoriaRobyn'
MMSI 316 014 608
Go to Top of Page

Ironworks

USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  12:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last rendezvous thatI am aware of was at Sandusky Yacht Club July 2002.

44' Viking ACMY Diesel
28 ft Omega 454 Gas IB
Go to Top of Page

DS

74 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  17:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I distinctly remember how beautiful many of the older boats were from my childhood. So when I see a beautifully example like yours that still looks brand new, it just brings back so many memories of boating on Lake Erie. I just want to say thank you to folks like yourself and others who preserve all these beautiful old boats.

I see you keep it at Chagrin Lagoons, a place I am familiar with. In the 50's my dad kept our boat at BOLTONS on the Chagrin River. I don't know if BOLTONS is even around anymore but one of these days I need to get back up to greater Cleveland just to check out all the familiar places I remember as a kid.

06 260 Sea Ray Sundancer
Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

USA
2089 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  18:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bolton's kind of still exists...in 1997 it was bought by Sima Marine Sales, then of Maple Hts., Ohio

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives
Go to Top of Page

Captain Buddha

USA
393 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  20:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BEAUTIFUL boat!!!!

Brad

"The water is calling."
Go to Top of Page

Capt. Art

USA
3022 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  20:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is a great looking boat. Her being steel she must sit deep & ride very well. 22,000 lbs whats the draft?
Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

USA
2089 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  21:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Art

Wow, that is a great looking boat. Her being steel she must sit deep & ride very well. 22,000 lbs whats the draft?

shallow enough to be able to go on the Chagrin River LOL

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives
Go to Top of Page

SteelClipper57

USA
868 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  11:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the kind comments. She pulls about 3' draft to the tip of the skegs. I don't have too much trouble with the river from South Shore (where she winters) to the club.

She rides VERY well. Four footers at a quarter, she rolls a bit on a rogue, and every now and then you'll feel a little bump if the planers are down. She doesn't ride the waves, she's mows 'em down.

I forgot to mention that she has suicide shifters (hydraulic trannies). Depending on the outside temps, shift delay can be anywhere between 2-4 seconds. I have a 64' dock and need all of that ramp to get her in with little damage to surrounding boats.

I'm starting to have a rash of people telling me that I need to: Repower with diesels or chryslers; get electric transmissions; electric ignitions; air conditioning (BAH!). She fits her caretaker's personality (mine) very well: original.

Go to Top of Page

tmsarch

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  17:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - beautiful ride. If you've got the one of the largest Clippers, I just bought one of the smallest - a 22 footer I think called the Sport Cruiser but am not sure as most of their boats were one offs. I'd love to get in touch with other Inland Seas boat owners for the torrent of questions that is sure to come as I get into the restoration. I've tried to email a couple of the kingpins of this this topic but get boucoup error messages. My email is tobiasrb2rb2@gr5tgr5ttmsarch.com if there is anyone out there interested in sharing information. Thanks, Tobias Sullivan, Annapolis MD.
Go to Top of Page

Rub Rails

Alnara
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  19:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember two of those 22' Steel Clippers growing up in the Thousand Islands. One was named the "War Horse", owned by the Thousand Islands Club and the other was "Dark Island" which has a castle and was built in the early 1900's for the president of Singer Sewing Machine singercastle.com. They were both used as work/utility boats. Wish I knew what happened to them. Anyone remember the 1953 movie "Niagara" starring Joseph Cotten and Marilyn Monroe? It looks like a Steel Clipper that ran out of gas and went over the falls at the end?

By the way, your 39 is gorgeous but there is nothing more I can say that hasn't already been said.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.58 seconds to load Snitz Forums 2000